You used to love caramels – they always satisfied your sweet tooth. But lately, you’ve had to give up your favorite snack because your jaw ached when chewing the tough candy. You’ve also noticed that your jaw hurts when you talk on the phone. Now that this is impacting more than just your sweet treat selection, you decided to see your dentist in Scripps Ranch for treatment. Dr. Greg Friedman at Mod Squad Dental found the problem – you’re suffering from TMJ Disorder. Find out all about this painful jaw condition, and how you can treat it, in this post.
What Is TMJD?
Your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is the hinge that connects your jaw to your skull. It is located in front of each ear, and it allows your jaw to open and close, and move in all directions. If you have an issue with this joint, your jaw, or the muscles of your face, you have TMJ Disorder, or TMJD.
What Causes TMJD?
Dr. Friedman explains that TMJD has many common causes:
- Injury to your jaw or the TMJ joint
- Grinding or clenching your teeth
- Movement of the protective disc between the bones
- Arthritis in the TMJ joint
- Stress and anxiety
What Are the Symptoms of TMJD?
TMJD can manifest in several different ways. You may experience the following:
- Pain or tenderness in your face, around the TMJ joint, your ears, neck, or shoulders
- Pain when chewing or speaking
- Problems when you try to open your mouth wide
- Clicking, popping, or grating sounds from your jaw
- A tired feeling in your face
- Your jaw becomes locked or stuck in a closed or open position
- Swelling on the side of your face
Think you might be dealing with this condition? Take this TMJD quiz.
How Can My Dentist Treat My TMJD?
For TMJ treatment in Scripps Ranch, CA the team at Mod Squad Dental will provide top-notch care. Your dentist will create an individualized care plan designed to target your specific jaw problem. We have many ways to address the pain, including:
- Oral appliance therapy
- Anxiety treatment
- Muscle Relaxation
- Jaw realignment
- Full mouth reconstructions
Regardless of the course of treatment that’s right for you, you should rest assured in knowing that most patients experience relief from headaches and TMJ-related pain within three months of working with our team.
Now that you know what TMJ is and that it can be treated, don’t suffer from jaw pain any more – schedule your appointment with the team at Mod Squad Dental and we’ll give you the relief you’ve been looking for!