Oral Cancer Screenings – Scripps Ranch, CA
How Oral Cancer Screenings Save Lives
According to the American Cancer Society, just over 50,000 cases of oral cancer will be diagnosed this year alone. Although this statistic is initially sobering, it is important to remember that the survival rate jumps up to 85% when it’s detected in the early stages. That is why Dr. Friedman, our dentist in Scripps Ranch, dedicates a portion of your routine appointment to conducting a simple, fast, non-invasive screening. So, if you are overdue for your biannual visit, don’t hesitate to contact us today!
Early Detection Is Key to Successful Treatment
If you’re like most patients, you aren’t in the habit of inspecting the inside of your mouth regularly. Unfortunately, this allows symptoms of oral cancer to fly under the radar, especially if you aren’t diligent about attending your professional checkup and cleaning every six months. The good news is that early detection is as simple as visiting Dr. Friedman and our team twice a year. That way, we can ensure your teeth and gums are in tip-top shape and address anything abnormal before it has a chance to wreak havoc on your general health.
What Are the Symptoms of Oral Cancer?
Visiting our team biannually is just one component of early detection. It is equally as important to be aware of the common symptoms and contact our office for an oral cancer screening in Scripps Ranch if you begin to experience any of them between appointments. But do your best not to panic – while the below symptoms are linked to oral cancer, they may be a result of another non-harmful oral health condition as well:
- Persistently feeling like something is stuck in your throat
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing
- Stiffness or pain in your jaw
- A chronic sore throat
- A lump or bump that suddenly appears
- Any sores or lesions that don’t heal within two weeks
What Is an Oral Cancer Screening Like?
One of the biggest pluses of oral cancer screenings is that they can save lives while simultaneously being fast and easy! In a matter of a couple of minutes, Dr. Friedman will complete the below basic steps for a thorough screening:
- First, he will closely examine your lips, cheeks, the roof of your mouth, and the back of your throat.
- Next, he will ask you to stick out your tongue and move it from side to side. This will allow him to clearly see the floor of your mouth.
- Lastly, he will gently check the sides of your neck and underneath your jaw for any lumps, bumps, and tenderness.
That’s it! The process is often so fast that our patients barely even notice it’s being done. So, if you are overdue for your oral cancer screening, contact our office to schedule an appointment today.