Tooth Extractions – San Diego, CA
Say Goodbye to Problematic Teeth
No one wants to lose their teeth, but sometimes it is necessary to undergo an extraction to restore and maintain the health of your smile. Extractions are never your dentist’s first choice, but in certain situations, the preservation of your oral health may be dependent on it. That’s why at MOD Squad Dental, we offer tooth extractions to allow you to say goodbye to problematic teeth. To learn more about tooth extractions in San Diego or to schedule an urgent appointment with us, give us a call!
Reasons Why Tooth Extractions Are Necessary
We always do everything we can to help patients keep their natural teeth, but sometimes it isn’t a viable option. Here are a few reasons why a tooth extraction may be necessary to restore your overall dental health and function:
- There is severe damage or decay to the tooth that is irreparable.
- To allow for a patient to undergo orthodontic treatment.
- For ensuring long-term success with a restoration, like a denture.
- When a primary tooth won’t fall out on its own.
- If a tooth is impacted and unable to erupt properly.
Ultimately, by extracting problematic teeth, future infections and other oral health issues are significantly less likely to occur.
The Process of Removing a Tooth
Teeth are generally removed by either pulling or surgical extraction. Teeth can only be “pulled” when they have fully emerged from the gumline. In this case, we will start by numbing the area around your tooth and use a clasping tool to shift the tooth around until it breaks away from the gumline. If pulling isn’t a possibility, the tooth will need to be surgically extracted. For this procedure, a small incision is made into your gum tissue to allow us the ability to reach enough of your tooth to fully remove it.
To determine which extraction method would be necessary for you, come see us for a consultation where we can evaluate your smile. In the process of discussing the extraction, we will also talk about necessary tooth replacement options to prevent future oral health issues as a result of tooth loss.
Tooth Extraction Aftercare
Before you leave the practice, we will provide you with a specific aftercare plan to help you stay comfortable and avoid complications. While every case is different, here are some steps that we will generally recommend for optimal recovery:
- Take recommended over-the-counter and prescribed medications as directed
- Rinse with saltwater 24 hours after your procedure
- Avoid using tobacco products until your mouth has healed
- Do not drink using a straw
- Elevate your head while sleeping
- Get plenty of rest
- Apply a cold compress to reduce swelling and discomfort
- Stay away from hard, crunchy, and sticky foods